White Card - Construction induction
If you are looking for work in the construction industry, you have probably heard about White Cards (formerly known as Blue Cards). To put it simply, they are licenses required to not only work on, but also enter construction sites.
In Queensland, the cards are issued by the Registered Training Organisation (RTO) you complete the training with on behalf of WorkSafe Queensland.
RTOs need to have the accredited Unit of Competency CPCCWHS1001 - prepare to work safely in the construction industry on scope with the Australian Skills Quality Authority (ASQA) in order to deliver the training. Further to that, they need to be licensed by WorkSafe Queensland in order to be issued cards.
Table of contents:
- White Card training
- Lost White Card replacement
- Whitecard vs Blue Card
- Construction White Card
- Qualifications that include the White Card course
White Card training
The current Unit of Competency "CPCCWHS1001 - Prepare to work safely in the construction industry" supersedes and is equivalent to "CPCCOHS1001A - Work safely in the construction industry".
The new Unit of Competency was released in December 2016, which ASQA states is "in response to stakeholder concerns about the quality of training". The new Unit of Competency now requires RTOs to ensure that:
- Learners are observed by the assessor
- Assessors hold an additional Unit of Competency - CPCCWHS2001 - Apply WHS requirements, policies and procedures in the construction industry
As an induction course, it is designed to be very accessible and is rated as a level 1 course by the Australian Qualification Framework (AQF), out of a possible 10 levels.
As the name indicates, the course is all about safety in the construction industry. The course is split into 3 main components:
- Written component
- Verbal component
- Demonstration component
In order to complete the written component, learners must read and answer questions in writing.
In the verbal component, learners must be able to ask questions to clarify instructions and report construction problems or hazards.
In the demonstration component, the trainer and assessor will show how to properly fit and wear Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) used on construction sites. The learners must then successfully fit the PPE on themselves. Currently, the following 4 pieces of PPE are part of the course:
- eye protection
- hearing protection
- hard hat
- high visibility retro reflective vest
Lost White Card replacement
If you have lost or damaged your White Card, you can order a replacement from the RTO you completed your training with. If the RTO is no longer in business, you can shop around for the cheapest provider.
You will need to provide evidence that you have completed the training with a Statement of Attainment issued by the RTO.
Whitecard vs Blue Card
The current card issued when completing your construction induction training in Queensland is known as the Whitecard. Previously, the Whitecard was known as the Blue Card. While Blue Cards are still valid and do not need to be upgraded, some employers might suggest that you complete the current course and be issued with a White Card.
Blue Cards cannot be replaced, and construction induction training must be completed in order to be issued with a current card.
Construction White Card
The course covers the mandatory work health & safety training that is necessary to work on construction sites. Learners need to have the legislative knowledge of health and safety requirements in order to work in safe manner and prevent injury or harm to themselves and others.
As general induction training, workers are still expected to undertake site-specific training offered by employers prior to commencing work on a construction site.
You can head over to the Tradie Training website to book your QLD White Card.
Qualifications that include the White Card course
As induction training, is it not surprising that the Unit of Competency is included in the training scope of a vast amount of qualifications.
Here is the list at the time of writing this article:
- UET20619 - Certificate II in ESI - Asset Inspection
- UET20519 - Certificate II in National Broadband Network Cabling (Electricity Supply Industry Assets)
- UET20419 - Certificate II in Transmission Structure and Line Assembly
- UEP40518 - Certificate IV in ESI Generation Maintenance (Mechanical)
- UEG60118 - Advanced Diploma of Gas Supply Industry Operations
- UEG50118 - Diploma of Gas Supply Industry Operations
- UEG40118 - Certificate IV in Gas Supply Industry Operations
- UEG30118 - Certificate III in Gas Supply Industry Operations
- UEG20118 - Certificate II in Gas Supply Industry Operations
- TLI41918 - Certificate IV in Mobile Crane Operations
- TLI40218 - Certificate IV in Mobile Crane Operations
- TLI31718 - Certificate III in Mobile Crane Operations
- MSF60118 - Advanced Diploma of Interior Design
- MSF50218 - Diploma of Interior Design
- MSF40318 - Certificate IV in Kitchen and Bathroom Design
- MSF31113 - Certificate III in Cabinet Making
- MSF30919 - Certificate III in Blinds, Awnings, Security Screens and Grilles
- MSF30913 - Certificate III in Blinds, Awnings, Security Screens and Grilles
- MSF30818 - Certificate III in Flooring Technology
- MSF30418 - Certificate III in Glass and Glazing
- MSF20313 - Certificate II in Furniture Making
- MSF20113 - Certificate II in Furnishing
- ICT20319 - Certificate II in Telecommunications Technology
- DEF51115 - Diploma of Leadership
- CPP41212 - Certificate IV in NatHERS Assessment
- CPP41119 - Certificate IV in Home Energy Efficiency and Sustainability
- CPP40115 - Certificate IV in Building Design Drafting
- CPP30216 - Certificate III in Surveying and Spatial Information Services
- CPP20319 - Certificate II in Technical Security
- CPP20116 - Certificate II in Surveying and Spatial Information Services
- CPC50210 - Diploma of Building and Construction (Building)
- CPC41013 - Certificate IV in Demolition
- CPC40808 - Certificate IV in Swimming Pool and Spa Building
- CPC40708 - Certificate IV in Building and Construction (Trade Contracting)
- CPC40611 - Certificate IV in Building and Construction (Specialist Trades)
- CPC40508 - Certificate IV in Building and Construction (Site Management)
- CPC40308 - Certificate IV in Building and Construction (Estimating)
- CPC40110 - Certificate IV in Building and Construction (Building)
- CPC10111 - Certificate I in Construction
- BSB42115 - Certificate IV in Library and Information Services
- AHC30816 - Certificate III in Arboriculture